Pages

August 27, 2012

My Penang Escapade

Its late. I should go to bed. But, if I did not write this down, the awesomeness of what happen might escape from my mind completely.





That was KT's bus stop. It was swarming with people. I know I'm not much of a photographer but even with the grainy pictures, you get what I'm talking about. *snicker*

Well, it was all sunshiney and happy thoughts from Dungun. When we arrive in KT, everything started going downhill. There's this policeman who come up and demanded that the driver shows his license. He also asked us for our ticket. My theory is, they want to prevent people from riding the bus by paying the driver. this is because some driver will pocket the money themselves instead of giving them to their employer. Plus, if we do not own a ticket, if anything happen, we are not insured. OMG, if you hurt an part of your body during the journey, no compensation will be given.

The bus was as cold as the freezer. I am currently suffering the sniffles as I am writing this post due to the coldness of the interior of the bus. Even with the help of my brand new sweater, I was still hugging myself to death during the 9-10 hour ride.

My ride started at 8 pm so I had no dinner. I was hoping to grab a bite at McD, but seeing the never-ending sea of people made me think twice. Besides, the bus did not even let us stop there. It was just stopping to fetch a few more passengers. *my tummy start the protest here*

I manage to eat something at 1am. The restaurant was looking a bit sad and rundown that I cannot even dream of being choosy about food. Three slab of rice. Yes, slab, because the rice stick together like rocks. I pour it with soup and start eating. It was suppose to be 'Sup Daging' but I can't seem to find any meat on the bone. My dinner was pitiful but at that time I felt that it is way better than any Double Cheese Burger.

A few more stops at rundown cafes made me wonder where the hell is the R&R. I would go down everytime the bus stop as to escape the freezing mini Arctic disguised as bus. Even if it was no better outside than inside, at least I get to stretch my legs a bit.

In Penang, we stopped at Butterworth which was suppose to be my stop. Grogy and cold, I asked the taxi driver on the steps "Is this Penang Central"? Low and behold, he said no. But alas, I listened to him and resume my ride.

I'd seen a few landmarks that's a tell-tale that I was being off course but I ignore it, willing it to be wrong, even. After riding the Penang Bridge, my nightmare began. I went down to a new bus stop which I've never seen before. The bus driver was treating me like dirt (I understand that he's dead tired, I don't blame him) so I have to catch a bus to the jetty and then a ferry to Penang Central. During my journey, I met a man who offends me so.

He is originally from Medan (a genuine Indonesian, not his ancestors) and is living with his wife and kids in Selangor. His wife is doing her degree in UKM. My first thought was, immigrants...red alert. I don't really ind his nationality thought but more of his speech. he talks more than me and that's saying something. Since I am overcome with tiredness, I don't feel inclined to rebut his statements but merely becoming a polite audience who nod and smile. His destination was the same as mine so I couldn't help being a good Samaritan showing him the way. What irks me was he kept shoving in my face about how people who work or the government won't get rich and Chinese don't really know how to do business. He is in MLM which I think is a scam. Sometimes, I pity people like him. I admit he's a sweet talker as he managed to sell his book about the MLM while we're on the Rapid Penang bus.

He also talks to me about books. How it teaches us value. Seriously? I am an epitome of a bookworm. I ingested books daily. He dare saying people like me only read novels. How shallow, I do read self-help book and other genres as well. I don't go around shoving them in people's face didn't I.

I agree with the whole government thingy but I beg to differ about the Chinese. My Dad's grandpa come from Yunan somewhere in China. He is a businessman who came in his Jong (ship) and finally settle down in Terengganu. Before independence, he used to go back and forth between China and Tanah Melayu. Terengganu once held the best port in Tanah Melayu. See.... Not all Chinese descended from those miners. Some already have a background in business. And he said they don't.

When we finally arrive in Penang Central, it was a matter of choice. Would I rather miss Subuh or miss the 601 bus to Kailan. The answer is of course the bus. So, I pray my Subuh Dinasour and catch the next bus which is about 45 minutes later. This is where he managed to sell some books. I noticed that Penang has a variety of immigrants, from Indonesia, Nepal and Bangladesh. What kind of work do they do.... Do they ever go home or they just stay and became populated with us.

We parted at Hotel Sri Malaysia where he's attending a health class which he's been promoting for me to come. *not in a  million years.

Come on, one of the merchandise that he's selling is a pair of socks which you don't have to wash for a month and it won't smell. The actual function that he claimed was that it regulates blood or something. It is seriously fashionably challenge so I won't be caught dead wearing 'em.

I finally reconnected with my friends who rode another bus and arrived earlier than me. We rode a 'kereta sapu' home.


2 comments:

  1. that medan guy is sure something! hahhaa XD

    btw loveee the term "subuh dinasour!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure is. Sometimes its better to just keep your mouth shut and move along without helping people.

      Delete