Pages

July 26, 2012

#2 13 To Life


Title: 13 To Life
Author: Shannon Delany
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (2010)
Pages: 308

          I never actually know what is required in a review. Is it your opinion on the storyline, language or something entirely different? I’d settle for something easier, my thoughts on the book.
I did not realize this was a book about werewolves until I was halfway through. I actually blamed Twilight for me to be skeptical to any books that have vampires or werewolves in it. About this book, to be honest, it was quite confusing. I didn’t really understand the author’s intention. Did she planned on telling the story about a poor lad who lost his parents being lied to all the time? Or the story is about a lass that is too good of a Samaritan that is willing to sacrifice her love for a boy to her dearest enemy?

            I also hated her heroine in the story. She is too gullible, too kind and naïve. When I read that she had saved the queen bee of the school who not just killed her mum but was mean to her before. She even took care of that particular enemy when she was recovering from the accident. Apart from that, she let the girl, wait, I was using the term ‘let’ so loosely. She actually pushed the girl and the guy together, breaking her own heart in the process. Unfortunately, her good deeds only ever managed to work when she’s with her friends. Behind their back she wasn’t that bothered fooling around. The author managed to show her selfish desire for love but it doesn’t really justify on what she did.

            I said the story was confusing. I didn’t mean by not understanding the book. It is merely because as the story unfolds, it barely tell me the background of the heroine nor it tells me how could her relationship develop when she was so torn about her best friend’s (a.k.a the enemy) happiness and her own. Besides, the evil in her best friend is actually surfacing.

            I do like the mysteriousness in the characters but I wish the plot could be elaborated for further understanding. I know that this is going to be a series of this book so she might not want to reveal everything yet but as a reader, if everything is covered up, maybe I might not be too eager on finding out about the details.

Delany, S. (2010). 13 To Life. New York, NY: St. Martin Griffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment